Lay Carmelites Provincial Office
- The government and activities of the Lay Carmelites of the Provinces of the Most Pure
Heart of Mary and of St. Elias are overseen and coordinated by Lay Carmelite Provincial
Offices presently located respectively in Darien, Illinois and Middletown, New York. Each
office is headed by a Provincial Director who is appointed by the Prior Provincial and his
Council. The Provincial Director may have Associate Directors to assist in the ministry.
- The Provincial Office will keep the listing and the historical records of all
communities and "isolated" members. It will also make available the materials
and formation manuals and brochures needed by the individual communities. It will publish
a Provincial Newsletter with articles of interest to Carmel and news of Lay Carmelites and
their communities in the United States, Canada and the whole Order.
- The Provincial Director and the Associate Directors have the right and duty to visit the
Lay Carmelite communities in the Province as often as it is opportune. Experience has
shown that the communities are strengthened, affirmed and given formation through such
- The Provincial Office will publish a directory of the Lay Carmelite communities in the
Province, listing at least the name of the community, its meeting time and place, its
director, secretary and chaplain.
- The Provincial Office will appoint the Regional Coordinators as needed for the various
geographical areas of the Province.
- The Lay Carmelite communities have the responsibility of helping the Provincial Office
finance its operation of service and coordination.